Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Adaptations and technology

I have been thinking a lot about the adaptations that teachers are required to make for students with special needs. After being in this TPTE 486 class, I really think that trying to integrate technology especially with students who may have a disability will help them be able to learn the material in maybe an alternate way. I have a few ideas about how to incorporate technology to assist all kinds of learners. Technology is so universal it makes it easier for teachers to supply accomodations for a lot of students. For example, the Inspiration Layouts that we made would be good for students with reading disabilities. They can actually see this digital graphic organizer and create it themselves. These kinds of projects have little wording, so they can get the gist of the information that is important. Another example of making adaptations could be presenting content in a very visual way. For students who are visual learners or even hearing impaired, digital stories would be a helpful tool to use during lessons. Even allowing students to make one as a project could allow them to become engaged very visually with the material. I really have worried about how I will be able to accommodate all kinds of different needs that make up a very diverse classroom. However, programs that I have used in this class have made me start thinking about all of the various possibilities. I am very excited to be able to use technology as a resource that will allow me to adapt to all kinds of learners. I think this class has quelled some of those fears, and I can see now options that I can take advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment